Monday, August 25, 2008

Let's Not be Doormats

Okay, a struggle I have had lately concerns how I act towards others, where my sympathies lie. As a Christian and a human being, I would like to do the right thing and treat people well. The problem is, where is the line? Where does that boundary run that separates being kind and caring and being a doormat to the world? I often am not sure myself.

From the Christian angle of it, it is very hard. Because many believe we basically are doormats. We are suppose to turn our cheeks and ignore injustice, right? WRONG! God doesn't expect us to allow injustice to occur while we sit back and smile foolishly. He doesn't think it is bad to feel upset when something bad happens. The question isn't should we be angry or not. The question is how are we channeling that anger. That is a question I am still unsure of the correct way to do it.

From any angle, it is a matter of judgement of whether to speak up or whether to let things go. We won't always make the right decisions but we can try. Sometimes it is best to ask for help with a situation so that we can prevent it from getting ugly too.

Anywhoo, my babble is trying to get at that we should be kind, caring and sympathetic -- but never doormats!

No comments: